From:
Andy Coghill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:44:47 -0600
Hi, all.

Only been on for a few days and loving it!  (Happy 3000).

First, I'm lookin' to adpot a ferret.  If anyone knows of any in the
Eastern Iowa area, please let me know.

Second, my very first ferret (Fossa) crossed the Bridge in December, 1998,
and I never was given a satisfactory answer from the vet as to what
happened (unfortunately, I had just moved to Philly and had not established
a good vet linkage yet).  Fossa began to become lethargic (refused to eat
or drink) and his pee -- and only his pee -- turned green.  I took him to
an animal hospital and they treated him for dehydration but suggested that
I take him to a more knowledgeable vet in the morning (they gave me a
reference).  I did that and the second vet did not seem to know much more
than the first, but did give a diagnosis: autoimmune hemolytic anemia.  He
gave intravenous fluids, prescibed prednisone (i believe -- but don't hold
me to it) and said to give him a call if things didn't improve.  Well, they
did.  Unfortunately, one week later, a woke to a scream; Fossa was in a
major tonic-clonic seizure and had stopped breathing.  I couldn't get to
the vet fast enough.

Has anyone ever heard of this in ferrets (the vet hadn't)?  If not, can
anyone give a more satisfactory explanation?

Thanks!

-- Andy, Lily, and Tripod Bob

"If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can
go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way will promptly develop."
       - Fourth Corollary to Murphy's Law