From:
Chris Kibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:54:55 -0800
Once again one of our special buddies has gone across the bridge.  Bear was
plagued with continuous urinary leakage that baffled the vets.  Blood tests
revealed possible liver problems, but xrays weren't revealing any obvious
problems.  Caution and possible ultrasound was suggested by the vet in
February, but no apparent urgency as Bear was very spunky and not acting
unhealthy at all.

Unfortunately something seem to happen Friday.  Bear became lethargic
Friday morning, and began throwing up and spotting bloody diarhea Friday
night.  A trip to the emergency vet revealed liver and kidney failure.
Overnight stay was recommended.  Saturday morning the tests were looking
better but retests later in the day were recommended.  I dropped off some
food, but couldn't get her to eat.  Later that afternoon the vet calls and
says Bear is very jaundice, and the tests are off the scale.  Luckily a
ferret friend of mine was working that afternoon and talked to me a bit.
She was going to force feed Bear every couple hours to see if that would
help.  I visited Bear that night to let her know that it was OK if she
wanted to go.  Her color was looking a bit better, but she was very weak.
Sunday morning as my ferret friend came back to work, she checked on Bear
and found she had recently passed away.

We will miss our Bear Bear as she was affectionately known.  Every morning
she let me know I had to put fresh water in the water bowl in the bathroom.
She was known for sudden sneak attacks by leaping and grabbing ankles, and
then wardancing away.  Ferretbites were one of the few treats she would
accept, along with grapes which had to be stolen by the bunch, not giving
in singles.

Sandee, take good care of our Bear Bear.  Bring her to her brother Ben,
who crossed last August.  They will be glad to see each other.  Also
introduce her to Missie, who left us before Bear was introduced to our
home.  I sometimes think Missie sent instructions to Bear and how to take
care of us.

Hug and kiss each of your ferrets today in memory of Bear.  Be sure to take
those pictures as well and record some memories of your loved little ones.
They can leave us so suddenly.

Chris