From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:33:43 -0500
I was sitting here this afternoon looking through a huge pile of mail to be
answered, jobs to do, and bills to be paid, and I came across one of the
many requests for money that the Sierra Club sends out about every month
or so.  Now the ferrets were about, it was a real nice day, and I got to
wondering why it was that the California Sierrans (?) were against such
wonderful and environmentally friendly creatures.  I remember pondering
what could be done.

Looking over the letter, I saw that it took "just a few cents a day"
to renew my 'membership'.  I saw words like "most powerful" and "most
effective voice for the environment" "century of achievements" "monumental
challenges" coming up, and I read that through my gift I would be "able to
play an active personal role."

Suddenly it hit me!  Why not contribute Five Dollars and a note of
explanation?  This would get their attention, (it is much less than the
$35 membership fee), it would keep me on their mailing list,my name in
their records, support the environment [okay just a little bit], and hold
out a challenge.

Then it must have been Squeeker's voice in my ear saying "Why not tell lots
of people about your idea?  If enough people joined in, it could make a big
difference.... "   Anyway here is what I wrote:

Dear Mr. Pope,

This is a token amount which I'll give each year on the month that it was
made legal to own Ferrets in Massachusetts.  It is given in memory of a
wonderful ferret friend named Squeekers and would be much larger if the
Sierra Club actively supported the legalization of ferrets in California.

 - Bill Williamson