From:
Tracy Jose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:07:06 -0600
Hello FML'rs

My four year old, MF, female ferret, Leah has been diagnosed with ulcers.
She has been on Metronidazole, Amoxi, Tagamet and Maalox.  She is now just
down to the Tagamet.  All of this stuff tastes horribly unpleasant and I
had a real tough time getting them down her throat, but managed to, even
though she tried her hardest to spit them out.

My vet said she has to remain on the Tagamet for a couple of months - twice
a day.  I have to crush one tablet into 20 parts.  My question is - how
can I give this small amount of powder to her.  She won't take it mixed
up in anything...i've tried mixing it with A/D, Ferretvite, etc. but she
refuses...so I have been putting it in a syringe with some Ferretone, which
I have to force down her (which she tries to also spit out).  She gets so
stressed out when I do this, I am afraid of making her ulcers worse since
this is so unpleasant for her...she runs around the room shaking her head.
I do give her a treat afterwards...then she is a little bit happier.  Is
there anything I can do to make this easier for her?  I wish it was in a
liquid form...it would be easier to give to her.  Thanks FML!

Tracy J.
Tango, Chico, Roo, Pepe', Spunky and Leah