From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:35:49 EST
>Dr. Paula Bumpers, went to Florida to learn a new technique called
>Cryo-Surgery.  Still invasive, yet not as radical, time consuming, or even
>remotely dangerous and tricky as the other way.  And with rights, the heat
>from the blood in the vena cava insulates the vena cava from actually
>freezing and the right is frozen quickly and then closure.

Our shelter vet, Dr. Dutton, at the Weare Animal Hospital in Weare, NH has
been using the cryo surgery for about 5 - 6 months now on his ferret
adrenal patients.  He finds that he can reduce the time the ferret is under
the anesthetic significantly, which is a big plus in the ferret's post
surgical recovery, and as you said, it makes the right adrenal debulking
much safer.

>This article was written by Dr. Deborah Kemmerer.  It is a very scary
>article.  She states that if you live in an area where mosquitoes occur,
>your ferrets are susceptible to heartworms.

Dr. Kemmerer is GREAT.  She is, in my opinion, the foremost expert on
ferrets and heartworm.  Thanks to her and her work with our vet, we
successfully treated two of our shelter guys for heartworm.  Even up here
in NH, we do have heartworm.  Monthly treatment is a small "inconvenience"
to save a ferret's life.

Dick B.