From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 09:12:02 -0800
After reading the post on selling ferrets at the Ft. Washington show, I
would like to express my opinion.  I would like to respectfully disagree
with the poster.

I think it is a wonderful idea to adopt ferrets out at ferret shows.
What better place to provide the potential adopter with information,
products, contacts, etc.?  Most people at ferret shows are there
because they are interested about ferrets.  It's not a driving-by,
look-mom-there's-a-ferret-show, let's-pay-$4-to-get-in kind of compulsive
act.  They attend because they want to learn/see/touch ferrets
specifically.

I very nearly adopted two ferrets at two separate ferret shows (both hosted
by Balto. Ferret Club, which I must say were wonderful).  The potential
adoptees were from two different shelters, as well.

The first was when we just had Slinky, Gizmo, and Kyle.  I wanted another
Herdling and found this beautiful, gigantic, retired-breeder for adoption.
As Sean and I wandered the other booths to ponder our decision, another
family discovered him.  I spoke with the family for 10 mins or more, trying
to gauge their enthusiasm, provide ferret knowledge, make suggestions on
products, etc.  In the end I was satified with what I saw and "sacrificed"
the fella to them.  The people placing the ferret also questioned them and
had them fill out forms.  I saw the family later on trying to stuff a big
Martin's cage (certainly large enough for 3 ferrets) and a bag of Totally
Ferret into their car.

The second was a beautiful marked-white female.  She was all white except
for a black streak that ran down her backbone and onto her tail.  I really
wanted her badly, but it was just after Gizmo's adrenal surgery, and I was
afraid to put myself into a financial burden with a sixth ferret.  The
shelter asked me questions about my current ferrets, their diet, their
housing, other pets, etc.  I thought they were very thorough.

To make a long story short, I think it is a wonderful opportunity for
shelters to get their adoptees out in the public eye.  I would encourage
shelters to get out there to shows.  But make sure that you are willing
to sit the potential adopter down for a chat.  Being surrounded by ferret
owners and ferret lovers is the best way to learn about these beasts and
bring a new (or first) baby into your home.  It certainly beats standing
alone next to a fishtank full of underage kits with no knowledgable
salesperson in sight.

=====
Aileen & the Herd minus one Herdling
Slinky, Kyle, Noel, Sandy, & Rootie the beagle
Missing Gizmo so much. We love you, baby.

*$*$* Want an easier way to pay for auctions or receive pay from auction
winners?  Want to earn $10 for nothing?  Click on this link (or cut and
paste) to sign up and see for yourself:
https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=anippy%40yahoo.com