From:
Jodie Bohlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 21:07:55 EST
Dear ferret family,

I have been putting off writing this letter for over a week.  I still
cannot believe it's true, and putting it down in writing only makes it
worse.  My precious Jewel is gone, and it is completely my fault.  Last
week, I left the water in the bathtub overnight.  My ferrets were caged and
I thought it would be safe.  I hoped it would put a little moisture in the
air, which had become very dry from running the electric heater.  I was
positive there was no way in the world I would forget to let the water out
before ferret play time.  I don't know what I was thinking!  Haven't I ever
heard of a humidifier?  The fur-kids hadn't been out for long when I heard
a noise in the bathroom.  I never did figure out what the noise was.  By
the time I found her, Jewel had already drowned.  I tried everything.
Mouth-to-nose and swinging her on my arm to get water out of her lungs.  It
was too late.  I held her and cried for hours.  Jewel was one of the most
precious, sweet-hearted creatures on this planet.  I hope she can forgive
me for what I've done.

Writing this letter is very difficult.  Many of you must think that I am a
horrible, horrible ferret parent.  Right now, that is what I think of
myself, too.  But I'm sending this letter for a reason.  This was the MOST
preventable accident in the world.  I knew standing water was dangerous for
my little babies.  I knew they liked to play in the tub.  I just thought
that I would surely remember something so important as to let the water out
and I DID NOT.  My memory has always been awful and I've forgotten some
important things before.  A school talent contest I was supposed to judge
and my brother's wedding rehearsal were I thought the worst.  But now a
combination of poor judgment and a bad memory has harmed a precious,
much-loved animal, caused her to suffer and die.  I'm sharing my story in
the hopes that our tragedy never again happens to another ferret owner.
Please, even if you think you have a good memory, never leave water where
your ferrets might get to it, even for a little while.  Now I always keep
the toilet lid closed, and I can't even bring myself to take a bath at all.
If you're ever tempted, even for a little while, to leave some water for
any reason, I hope that you think of this precious little girl.  She came
to me with a bald tail and I thought she had adrenal, but it turned out she
was just very stressed out.  Her hair grew back almost as soon as she moved
in and she had a happy life while she was with us.  It was only for only
one year.  She never hurt another ferret or a person and she was totally
delightful in every way.  She's also the one who always scared me to death
by finding little escape holes in the trailer that other ferrets missed
when I thought everything was ferret-proofed.  I've thought I lost her a
half a dozen times before, but always she was found safe and sound.  Now,
she is gone.  I can't undo what I have done.  Please, please don't let this
happen to your little ones.

Jodie and three sad ferrets