From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:25:18 -0500
I am posting without my name because I know there will be some hot feedback
about this, but here it goes!

I attended the Fort Washington Pet Expo this past weekend and must express
my shock that a shelter had an open pen with at least 5 fuzzies at their
that were up for adoption.  There was a second shelter with 2 fuzzies also
for adoption in a cage.  But the first fuzzies were being handled and
petted by people and when we were there a woman walked up and was asking
about adopting one fuzz.  There was the adoption form right there ready and
waiting.  I know many shelters are overcrowded (and before you yell, yes I
do help with fostering, placements and donations), but how can any shelter
be sure of who you are adopting to when the person walks up out of nowhere
and wants to take a fuzz home.  While someone complained recently about
shelters asking too many questions, this is the apparent opposite!!  My
daughter wanted to adopt one of the fuzzs and I was terrified at the
thought of taking one of these ferrets home with the scare of what they MAY
have been exposed to at the show.  Not that there was any concern of ADV
or ECE, but you never know.... I am not saying these ferrets were carrying
disease, but there has been a concern regarding ADV recently and that is a
pretty big WHAT IF to take.

Anyway, without pointing fingers and naming names, I just want to express
my concern to shelters who allow adoptions at shows and such.  Bring a fuzz
for education or to show what wonderful animals you have available, but
don't allow someone to handle and walk away with one.  If the person really
wants that fuzz, they will make arrangements to do the paperwork, have a
vet reference check and such and then pick up the baby.

Isn't this kind of open adoption the same thing as pet stores, kinda
working on that, 'oh, he is so cute' without the education?  And sorry, I
can't believe that 15 minutes talking at the show will provide a new ferret
owner with all the information they need to properly care for a new fuzz.

Signed,

a concerned fuzz mom

PS - Other than that, we had a ball and got some great new hammies, toys
and treats.