Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:19:05 -0700
I ahve had Mischief for 2 years now and got her when she was 8 months old.
I previously had a ferret raised from a kit and she never was a biter, I
didn't even know that htey did bite!  Until Mischief.  I got her in a pet
store,(now out of business), the woman who owned her before owned the pet
shop.  Apparently she had many other animals and couldn't take care of her
any more.  When I got Mischief she would never let me hold her, stayed
under the couch and only came out to chomp on my hand or toes, it was very
discouraging but I couldn't give her up knowing that she probably just
needed to be loved and cared for.  I used bitter apple which she quickly
learned she did not like.  I said "no biting" and put her in her cage when
she did.  It took over a month for her to realize I wasn't going to hurt
her and for her to feel safe.  Now she is very happy and has even crawled
into bed with me to take a nap!!  She still doesn't like visitors, so I
keep bitter apple handy and warn everyone.  They sense fear I believe and
she takes advantage of that.  So for all you who are experiencing biting
stinkies, don't get discouraged, treat them with lots of love and treats
and they will soon learn that they are safe.