From:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask] 0004 20065 43 19_ferrets and beagles5_susan19iring
animal story (no ferret stories yet). In the most recent one, the author
wrote about skunks. Another person replied in the "mailbag" that people
should be careful around skunks because they can shed the rabies virus for
up to a year before exhibiting symptoms and rabies vaccines will not work
on skunks. [...]37_7Mar200007:10:[log in to unmask] 0003 9875 42 55_LOL thank yous, squamous cell carcinoma, bladder stones14_Sukie [log in to unmask], 7 Mar 2000 11:43:36 -0500597_- Have to be quick about this! Am hoping to have time late tomorrow for more
e-mail stuff, but really under pressure recently getting thing done. Have
caught up on some, though -- even repaired two chairs here myself, closets
get redone tomorrow so have to be ready.

I LOVE the "favorite things" song and that people are responding with more
favorite things. These are such great FUN! I have only one addition that
I can't resist putting in: one of Meeteetse's is to climb up pants' legs
and tickle us behind our knees with her whiskers. (Oh, she says that [...]38_7Mar200011:43:[log in to unmask] 0003 9918 30 15_Updates on kits11_Marie [log in to unmask], 7 Mar 2000 05:56:57 -0800454_- The kits are doing great! We named the boy Gentle Ben, they are so lovable
and learning not to bite, Yahoo!! Bandit, is now in 7th Heaven with the
Kits, she loves to be the Mommie (which is good, she is now happy and not
depressed) she plays with Blaze, tries to carry her off to bed, so cute!
Ben loves to eat banana chips and meat! It don't matter what kind, he
just loves it. We are keeping Misty and Gizmo away from the babies. [...]39_7Mar200005:56:[log in to unmask] 0003 9949 40 16_Joe's New Friend20_First annewilli:[log in to unmask], 5 Mar 2000 19:58:52 -0600402_- I am pleased to announce the addition of ferret #4 to the family! Bear was
adopted Saturday from Judy with Cloud Nine Ferrets. What a sweet boy he
is! Bear is a DEW/Champagne mix, with the biggest (most innocent!) eyes I
have ever seen on a ferret. Joe picked Bear out of the assortment that
Cloud Nine has right now. They play SO well together!!! Joe finally has a
little buddy. [...]44_5Mar200019:58:[log in to unmask] 0003 9990 28 19_Introducing Duncan!15_Marrilee [log in to unmask], 7 Mar 2000 12:42:49 EST482_- As many of you know, I lost a very special ferret in December. I know that
I can never replace Mort in my heart or in my life. I would never even
try. But I went looking for fish yesterday, the whole turning of the tank
and all. I went to a pet store here in Reno that I NEVER go to. But there
was a huge bad boy of a ferret there, I thought with his size that he was a
breeder. Nope, he was fixed and had been to three homes in the short year
of his life. [...]36_7Mar200012:42:[log in to unmask] 0003 10019 30 58_Thought I'd be creative and try my luck at songwriting....12_Erin [log in to unmask], 7 Mar 2000 09:03:17 -0500352_- My Favorite Things (as sung by a weasel)
(Humans can sing to the tune of "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of
Music.)

Crackle sacks, hammocks, and a large empty box
Broomsticks, and "Bandits", and people with socks
Things that will make me jump up like a spring
These are a few of my favorite things! [...]42_7Mar200009:03:[log in to unmask] 0003 10050 63 24_Posting: My observations
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:36:50 -0500
*Please remember that I am not a vet or a vet-tech.*

Hello everyone.

Some one the other day asked about the practice of premedicating a ferret
prior to vaccination.  This subject came up recently in a conversation I
had with my friend who is a vet tech.  Now, I trust this person implicitly
when it comes to ferret information.  You will want to have your vet
confirm this information with United Vaccine or the AVMA.

United Vaccine suggests that ferrets be premedicated prior to vaccination
with FerVac, which is the only approved ferret distemper vaccine.  This
suggestion is written on the FerVac packaging.  Have your vet look for it.
There are no suggestions on any other vaccines because they are not
approved for ferrets so there is no comment on their requirements.

My friend has attended veterinary conferences, specifically concerning
ferrets, and it has been repeated there.  The veterinary associations
suggest that ferrets be premedicated prior to vaccination.  Check the
ferret medical texts.  I'm told that Fox also suggests premedication in
his book.  Show this to your vet too.

Ferrets are commonly given injectable Benadryl 10 -20 minutes prior to
any vaccination.  This will generally prevent any reactions.  Distemper
vaccines are more dangerous and the most common cause of reaction, but
reaction to a rabies vaccine can occur.  Some few ferrets will react
anyway.  At this point, my friend suggests, you need to consider the safety
of the ferret versus it's likelihood of exposure.  Again, talk to your vet
about this.

I, personally, have had 3 ferrets react to a distemper vaccine.  It was
ugly and terrifying and I never want to have it happen again.  Two minutes
after vaccination, my two big young hobs became unconscious and passed
violent, bloody diarrhea.  They immediately became dehydrated and felt very
hot.  We, their breeder and I, gave them subcutaneous fluids and ran them
(at 90 miles per hour up the NJ Turnpike!) to the emergency vet who
administered prednisone and more fluids.  While there, another ferret began
reacting, tho not as strongly.  This was 20 minutes later!  He was given
the same treatment.  Thankfully all of the ferrets survived and are fine.
My heart and nerves may never recover.

If you have a vet that refuses to premedicate, tho I can't see why they
would, you can always do it yourself if you must.  I would.  You can use
Pediatric Benadryl (it *must* be pediatric) at 1/2cc for a male and 1/4cc
for a female or kit.  This is the dosage told to me by my friend.  Again,
I don't see why you'd have to do this, but it is an option.  Benadryl will
not hurt the ferret, tho it may make it somewhat drowsy.

One further note.  If you have a vaccine reaction, please have your vet
report it to the USDA.  Most vets, if they report at all, report the
reaction to the manufacturer.  The manufacturer has no requirement to
report the numbers of reactions to the USDA, who regulates the efficacy
and virulence of vaccines, human or animal.  As you've probably become
aware if you read this list, there appears (and this is not just my
observation talking here) to be a problem with the ferret distemper vaccine
as it causes many ferrets to react, some seriously, some fatally.  If the
USDA is not aware of the numbers, they cannot take action to have the
manufacturer research the problem.  I, for one, would like to see a safer
vaccine developed and released to the public.  (There is the one Sukie
mentioned; the one developed and tested on zoo mustelids and other mammals;
the one that has proven itself to be safe.  Have your vet contact the
manufacturer, whose name I've forgotten, with requests for info and pleas
for this safer alternative to FerVac.

Thanks for reading this.  Good luck to everyone.  I've also got
vaccinations coming up for my kids.

Anastasia Kidd
Plainfield, NJ

PS: For anyone planning on coming to the Pennsauken ferret show on March
25th, look for the ADV booth.  I'll be baking tons of chocolate chip
cookies to benefit the research fund.  I'm told I bake a delicious, rich,
chocolate chip cookie.  Come by and give them a try!