From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:46:23 -0500
I just got a phone call from Beth Lambert, P.R.  Manager at the Animal
Medical Center, 1-212-838-8100, giving permission for me to reprint this
information on the FML.  Anyone else wanting to use it MUST also contact
Ms. Lambert who says that she prefer that you phone her through the above
number for permission.  (Bill, she is going to contact you to see the issue
with this post in it.)

From (new format from the old newsletter so new numbers) "AMC News" vol.1
issue 2, Inset titled "Common Signs of a Pet Emergency" to be found within
article titled "Emergency Care: 24-Hours a Day 365 Days a Year":

Common Signs of a Pet Emergency:

Seizure lasting longer than 3 - 4 minutes

Straining to urinate

Blood in vomit, stool, or urine

Lack of consciousness

Vomiting more than 4 to 6 times in 12 hours

Non-productive vomiting

Difficulty breathing

Bloating of abdomen

Lack of coordination in limbs or inability to stand

Excessive blood loss from injury

Squinting, painful or red eye

Any animal suffering a significant trauma (even if they appear to be fine
to you)

My comment: The Animal Medical Center is both a top center for treatment
and for improving veterinary care world-wide and they do have people come
in even from other continents with well loved critters.  It's a marvelous
place with wonderful people.  This list is a general one so ferret-specific
suggestions welcome on the FML so that you can teach all!