From:
Larry McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 07:26:23 -0500
Happy Friday, and dooks to all.

Well, Nibbles got her shot and by that afternoon was eating and drinking
her own kibble!  Of course, I decided to give her one last round from the
Duck Soup.  So there I am at my desk, towel across my lap, she's laying
there like a baby (well, sort of pinned, you know?) and she was taking the
soup a lot better.  Another of my professors comes in through the other
office door and said I don't really want to disturb your lunch-----oh,
isn't that cute!  Of course, my professors are all vets, so they know what
I'm doing and it just cracks them up!  Another vet I work for walks by sees
Nibbles case with the water bottle, looks at me, says, Okay, I probably
know better than to ask, but what is that?  Um, I have this little ferret
whose been suffering depression and that's all I got out.  This guy is a
certified nut, so he's just cracking up and making cracks, I'm standing
there shaking my head at him.  He's telling me he knows I'm serious, but
he can't help himself.  At least I can say I work in a fun department with
a bunch of really nice and compassionate folks!

My scare came on Wednesday night.  I'd given the crew upstairs (still
keeping Nibbles downstairs when we re home) their gravy and was up there
making sure they all got their official harassment time, and noticed Socks
kept acting like he was trying to tell me something.  I made sure everybody
was accounted for and safe, then picked him up to give him extra love.  He
seemed really bloated, and I swore I could feel something distended in his
abdomen.  So, being the calm person I am, I look up the vet's phone number
and talk to him, and he tells me to have him in Thursday morning by 7am.
So, yesterday morning Socks is sound asleep and I have to fight my way to
him through the group that was awake and wanted out.  He gets popped into
the carrier, wakes up with this How rude look on his face and out the door
we go.  I took food and water with me, thinking if this was going to be a
long exam or something I d have his food.  Dr. Kubisz examines him, grins,
says nothing swelled except I had a ferret that really had to pee at that
moment.  He told me he probably had gas and was a little miserable from
that.

So back home we went, he got into his cage with a look that told me where
I belonged, went and did his thing and went back to sleep.  Last night I
picked him up and checked him all over, he was fine.

Judy: Do they laugh????  I loved it.  And I know mine to things just to see
if they can get me out of bed at night.  I can just see them, all tucked
into the blankies, waiting to hear us go into the almost deep sleep mode,
Genie leaning over to Suzy and saying, Okay, do it now and Suzy makes some
weird noise that I've never heard, out of bed I peel, lights on, blanket
up from front of cage to see these two innocent faces looking at me with
little ferrety smiles.  Do they laugh, ha!  They have all sorts of evil
plots to turn us gray.  Then you crawl back into bed and hear little
ferrety snickers coming from the blankets.

Have to tell this story.  I keep a squirt gun upstairs-used it on Fang
when she was biting really hard.  I have a pillow stuck in the corner where
Larry's chest of drawers doesn't quite fit.  In that corner is a pillow
to keep them out of there (well, sort of out of there).  I'm down in the
kitchen, hear digging.  So up I run, and I see a tail sticking up over the
pillow.  Grab the squirt gun, sneak up and Zap get Conan.  Well, he jumps,
runs around, and Suzy and Kit decide they want squirted with the gun.  I
mean, it 's like watching two little kids begging to be sprayed with the
hose (and they hate baths-go figure)  So I'm squirting them, they're
dancing, leaping running at me.  Fang gets into the act and I'm out of
water in the gun.  They follow me into the bathroom while I refill the ammo
and then Calvin's into it.  I swear, my Robin Williams ferret was sooooo
funny.  And poor Alix is under the quilt trying to sleep while getting
stomped on by these clowns.  Finally they wore out, I came back downstairs.
Nibbles is stealing the cat s food, so as she strolls by I scoop her up and
put her in my sweatshirt while working on the computer.  She finally gets
down, I reach down to pet her and she war dances away.  Very nice sight to
see.

Well, gotta go to work.  Hugs and Dooks to all, condolences to all who have
lost their babies or have sick ones.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rebecca and the Crew of Merry Mayhem
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste
 good with ketchup"