From:
Sonya Grable <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 05:45:29 GMT
I too, have a MF ferret.  He was "rescued" from a pet store.  He has hind
leg problems, also.  He can walk, but much easier on carpet than on hard,
smooth floors.  He doesn't have any ligament problems that I, or his vets
are aware of.  I learned after getting him, that MF keeps them on 1 inch by
1 inch wire flooring.  This makes it difficult for them to get around since
their feet are so tiny.  Plus, I would venture to guess that it's painful
too.  My male has what's referred to as a "swimming" motion.  When walking
on the tile, his hind legs resemble a frog's legs while swimming.  Of
course, his aren't as flat against the surface.  I suspect if one has been
in a store and on a smooth surface for very long, this probably further
contributes to the problem.

As for sending one back to MF: It is my understanding the stores receive a
credit/refund without being required to return said ferret.  Noone wants
the added hassle and expense of having to ship one back.  Again, it is
my understanding that any "problem" ferrets are given to a vet to be
euthanized.  I could be wrong, and hope that I am, but I don't think so.
This is how I ended up with Girlie.  Who btw, is as sweet as can be.  she
was deemed "crazy" and a biter.  She was in the backroom of the store and
practically on her way to a vet.  She was misunderstood, and she is deaf.
They didn't know she was deaf.  She hadn't even been evaluated by a vet,
to see what the problem was.  Unfortunately, it most likely comes down to
money, not ethics.  Although, there are pet store managers and owners that
do actually care about the animals and their well-being.

Why Ferrets: Because they are the most hilarious, whimsical, joyful,
enchanting, inquisitive, determined, sweetest, cutest companions with
an endless supply of love, compassion, forgiveness and ATTITUDE!!

Sonya