Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:12:31 -0600
From:
Hi!
I read Renee's recent post ,re: taking her Kiwi to school to visit the
kids.I was concerned with two issues that could present a problem: I had
posted before about bringing my Fang to school for a visit .  I have
learned from the FML of how easily ferrets catch people germs, and as a
substitute teacher, am well aware of the number of sick kids in school at
any given time.It doesn't take a direct sneeze; a petting hand will do
just fine to transmit those germs to your ferret.

Secondly, and just as important: I have been afraid that the children would
be bitten by the magical *ferret bug*, and convince their parents to buy
them one; if not now, at a later date.  It is no secret that many of the
shelter babies were purchased because they were *so cute*, then the novelty
wears off, and the little ferret's life becomes a sad and lonely one..
(worse yet, outright neglect or abuse).  The ferret I rescued from a
freezing garage was purchased for a child that had seen one at school,
and just HAD to have one!

While I'm sure that you *educated* the kids on the importance of proper
care, I know that for most children , *that* part goes in one side and out
the other.  It doesn't become a reality until they are faced with the
direct responsibility themselves; and the truth is, that unless the parent
gets involved, the animal often suffers.  One of my biggest fears is that
so many go to homes where the adult doesn't take over properly, or resents
the ferret 's necessary care and sees it as one more *chore*.  This was
what happened to the little ferret in the cold garage.  It is a serious and
common reality.  Renee, you sound like the kind of good person that will
keep your ears open for any new *ferret owners* at your school.  Maybe your
kids can help there, and give out your number if new fert owners have any
questions following the possible purchase of one.  I guess I feel that if
you open a can of worms, you should be around to eat the dirt, also.  Put
your name out for anyone who might need help; whether it be on proper care,
or what to do with the little ferret that they might decide *doesn't work
out*.

These are the reasons I am hesitant on bringing my ferret to school.  To be
honest, in my fantasy perfect world, only adults that read the FML <smile>,
or have the knowledge or the desire to learn what a particular animal's
needs are, would be allowed to purchase ferrets.  This is not such a place,
and I fear too many little fuzzballs ending up living a sad life as the
result of exposing the *winsome side* of an animal so vulnerable to neglect
in the wrong hands.  Please don't take this personally, Renee, as you sound
like a wonderful Mom, to both your ferrets and your children.  I know that
you are correct re: the influence of a loving animal on special needs
children, as well as on MOST human beings.  It is the rest of the people I
worry about.  I feel my concerns are valid.

Because I care, Lizzi in Colorado