Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:13:49 EST
OK Bill wanted us Virginia people to speak up.  So here I am.  I'm Faith,
a ferretaholic. <g>  I researched (the best to my ability) ferrets back in
1984 for a Christmas present for son then 3 1/2 yo son.  We found a sweet
pair in the paper for him.  Tosh and Eric started it all, and we did just
about everything wrong we could to them.  The info was so poor out there
then.  We were Tosh and Erics third owner.

After their death, we really missed ferrets, and then purchased Bubba
(albino female) from a petstore in 1994.  While reading the paper one day,
I saw a blurb about AFA giving Willard Scott an award at their upcoming
show the next day.  I think that was 1995.  I called the paper and got the
number for AFA.  Found out where the show was and my son and I dropped by.
We were overwhelmed.  I came home with every handout there was.  Around
that same time, I got hooked up online at work.  So to help learn how to
surf the web - I searched my favorite subjects - and found out about the
FML.  All the information and education came at us and we devored it.

Through the AFA show I learned of other shows and met people.  We found out
about our local shelter and adopted Bubba a friend, Umber.  We also started
fostering older ferrets for the local shelters.  This was also a excellent
learning experience.

Now - I continue to read everything and observe.  Jan. 1, 1998 I opened my
own shelter, Ferrets R #1 Shelter & Rescue, here in Falls Church, Va (right
outside DC) and we have todate taken in 180 ferrets.  My (our) personal
crew now consists of:

Bubba, Umber, Posey (9yo from fostering), Violet (from fostering), Ricky
(from fostering), Sasha (my lover boy from a breeder), Mikey (my first "I
can't resist letting him go" guy from a turn in), Nips (turned in to the
shelter/deaf girl), Billy (my son's from an old girlfriend who couldn't
keep him), Buddy (from a turnin 2nd couldn't resist), Gracie and Brownie
(turn ins that I knew the Breeder and loved Dad), and our last one Patch
(third couldn't resist).

Considering how sweet most of the ferrets are coming in, I thought we did
pretty good on how many we've kept.  It's not easy.

<Plug time> I have not been ferretless since starting the shelter.  Please,
don't buy.  I have so many wonderful pairs and some singles here in the
shelter.  I have 38 wanting a home for Christmas.  Though the stockings are
hung just in case.  If you live in the Washington DC Metro area (but sorry
I don't adopt out to DC residents) please consider a shelter ferret.  I
have been full for months now.  Running a waiting list of incoming ferrets.
Adoptions have been low and turn ins high.  All ferrets are updated on
their shots and had a once over by Dr. Weiss.

Faith
Ferrets R #1 Shelter & Rescue