From:
Anastasia Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:48:08 EST
Hi everyone. Just a small post today. I'm sure you're all grateful.

Someone brought up collars for ferrets.  They asked if anyone used the
collars with the bells.  Actually, I do.  I've got a nice blue collar with
a silver jingle bell on my wrist even as I type.  I think it's pretty and
I like the soft jingle it makes when I walk around.

Oh.  You meant on the ferrets?  Oh.  Oops.

No.  I don't put collars on my ferrets.  They have harnesses that they wear
sometimes when they're out for playtime, and even those aren't always worn.
They're never worn in the cages.  Since my guys have play time in the same
room with their cages, and they climb the cages regularly, I worry that
they might get hung up by the ID tags and bells that each of them have.
The only reason I have them wear their harnesses at all is so that they're
used to them.  That way, should I take them out for a 'walk', they're not
preoccupied with fighting the harness.  Also, if we were to have to travel
with the ferrets, I'd want them in harness so that they have ID at all
times in the event of an accident.  (You might say I'm a touch paranoid but
after hearing about a friend's accident and having the champion Samoyed
bitch running along the highway with no collar or tags or anything because
the people were out cold in the wrecked van, I try to insure that the same
won't happen to my pets.)

Oh well.  That's all for today.  Tonight I'm set to bake the first of the
batches of cookies that I'll have at the Pennsauken show this Saturday.
The cookies will be sold to benefit the ADV Research Fund.  Look for them!

Anastasia Kidd
Plainfield, NJ