Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:34:34 GMT
From:
Hi Lynn,
I myself brought my ferrets from Canada to the US abuot two and a half
years ago-- check with the US Dept.  of Agriculture to make sure things
haven't changed, but here's what I had to do.  First, I needed certificates
of health from a vet for both ferrets, dated within thirty days of the
border crossing.  I also needed their rabies and distemper paperwork.
At the border, a ferret should be treated the same as a dog or cat-- no
quarentine, just show the paperwork.  However, most border workers haven't
a clue what the rules with regards to ferrets are.  When I crossed the
border, the customs officials needed to call the vet who was assigned to
that section of the border, who confirmed for them that I just needed to
have my paperwork in order.  If nobody is traveling with your ferret, you
might want to contact the USDA and get a copy of the regulations and have
them attached to the ferret's carrier, just to be safe.

The funny thing when I crossed: there was a border guard at the crossing I
used who was a real jerk, the kind of person who liked his power just a
little too much.  I frequently used this crossing, and when I came through
with the ferrets and my truckful of stuff, I was happy that he appeared to
be nowhere in sight.  But just as the customs officials were clearing me to
go, there he appears!  He walked up to the carrier and asked me what kind
of ferrets they were.  Um, said I, there aren't really different kinds of
ferrets, they're just regular domestic ferrets.  Wrong, he said, there's
endangered ferrets.  I barely contained myself from bursting into
laughter-- yeah, I'm trying to smuggle black-footed ferrets in broad
daylight in this carrier, and you should have seen the fight they put up
when I put them in the carrier!  I managed to answer him politely-- I'm
sure he knew damn well what they were and was just trying to make trouble.
My dad and I laughed all the way through Vermont :-)

Regina

Regina Harrison
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083
Electra the Brujah's page:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

Wrapped in my mongrel wings, I nearly freeze
In the howlin wind and drivin rain
All the trash blowin round 'n' round